Saturday, August 20, 2016

2016 book 148

Juliet Marillier's Den of Wolves
I really love Marillier's Blackthorn and Grim series, and so was very excited to see this third volume, where our duo has to solve another magical mystery (this one involving a mysterious house and a girl who speaks to trees) while still recovering from their past traumas. I love their relationship and the very slow building romance--I really feel how much these characters care about and depend on each other. My main problem with this book is that the author doesn't seem to know if her publisher wants any more in the series, and so has to wrap things up--and the ending of the over-arching plot felt rushed, to me. I mean, maybe that's just me, but like if you're under a fairy curse, you have to fulfill the terms of the curse! That is how fairy tales WORK. OK, but aside from the rushed ending, this was really great. I do hope there will be more of these characters and this world. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in November.

No comments: