Friday, October 14, 2016

2016 book 171

Erika Johansen's The Fate of the Tearling
Well, I will say, that was not what I was expecting--not that I was sure /what/ to expect, exactly. Johansen adds a slight horror element to her fantasy/scifi hybrid world with this one, which kind of just made things feel all over the place. I did like the continued investigations into the birth of their society, and how things fell apart, but there is . . .  a lot going on. Warning for more rapiness than in the previous books, or at least more evidence of a rapey society where people with power feel entitled to grope those who are powerless. (Johansen is prescient.) I actually did like the end quite a bit and cried a little, even as it left me feeling a little bit empty. I have Thoughts but don't want to be spoilery. Anyway, I will definitely read more by Johansen--she is one of the few writers I can just sink right into, and I love her book nerdery--but this was a B/B+ to me.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in November.

No comments: