Tuesday, December 06, 2016

2016 book 194

Kendare Blake's Three Dark Crowns
Blake's latest has a premise that feels like a lot of other books I've read recently (particularly Sarah Beth Durst's Queen of Blood): it's a fantasy world where the queen always gives birth to triplet daughters, each with a magical gift, and when they are sixteen, one becomes the new queen and kills her sisters. But when you are reading library e-books, sometimes you end up reading something you might not otherwise choose. Anyway, I found parts of this fairly gripping and parts super cheesy--I was entirely uninterested in the love triangle presented here, but liked the two underdog sisters and their friends pretty well. The end was mostly very frustrating, but I guess I am intrigued enough to read the followup when it comes out. B/B+.

No comments: