Sunday, January 08, 2017

2017 book 5

Elan Mastai's All Our Wrong Todays
This book has been getting a ton of buzz, and you all KNOW I am here for books about alternate universes and time travel, but I was a little bit concerned that it was going to turn out to be a dude book. But you know what, I loved it. It's the story of a guy who lives in a 2016 that is the 2016 people always imagined in the past--flying cars, house robots, whatever--but he's gone back in time and accidentally messed things up, and now he's trapped in OUR version of 2016 (would that this version of 2016 WAS a time travel accident). It's compelling, moving, and surprisingly philosophical. There is also some good action and romance! I suppose you could quibble about the love interest's strengths as a character, but there are some other really great women here--I really liked the versions of the protagonist's mother--and Mastai does kind of take on rape culture or at least seems aware it exists, so props for that, I guess? Anyway, the point is that I don't WANT to quibble, I just want to love this book. And I do. A.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in February.

No comments: