Monday, January 09, 2017

2017 book 6

Katie Kitamura's A Separation
This is one of the big buzz books of early 2017, but it's one of those literary books that made me wonder if I'm somehow no longer smart enough for highbrow fiction. Am I like John Heard in Big, saying "I don't get it, I don't get it" in a mocking baby voice? I mean, this book was fine, and certainly the writing is strong, but . . . I don't get it. It's about a woman, recently separated from her husband, when her mother-in-law--unaware of said separation--sends her to Greece to track him down, because he's not answering his phone. But it's not a mystery, and there is zero narrative tension. It is a meditation on . . . I don't know what. Life? Marriage? Lack of closure? Something that I just don't get. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in February.

No comments: