Monday, February 27, 2017

2017 book 38

Elizabeth Wein's The Pearl Thief
I was more than a little wary when I saw that a prequel to my beloved Code Name Verity--ONE OF MY TOP FIVE ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS--was being released, but this story--involving a teenage Julia at her recently deceased grandfather's estate in Scotland dealing with some missing pearls and a missing scholar--is a different kind of story altogether. But Julia is still Julia, and spending time with her--and her friends, including a librarian with a genetic disorder and a shotgun, and two Traveller teens--is a delight (even if she didn't solve the mystery as quickly as I did). Plus, I am now positive that Julia is canonically bisexual, for those who are interested in that little factoid! This is another great story about friendship and family and overcoming the odds and archaeology and everything great in the world (aside from two scenes featuring unwanted sexual advances, anyway). Elizabeth Wein, thank you for giving me a little bit more Julia. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on May 2nd.

No comments: