Sunday, March 05, 2017

2017 book 40

Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower
At Comic Book Book Club last week, one of the members said people kept comparing our current country's situation to books like 1984, but he thought Butler's Earthseed series (particularly the second one) was way more relevant--so I thought I'd reread them, since I haven't read them since college. Or maybe I've never read them, or maybe reading them now makes everything more resonant, because holy hell, did I not remember any of this. It's the story of a black teenage girl in California in the very near future (slightly less near when this was written in the 1990s), who a) has some very definite thoughts about God, and b) is pretty sure society is about to collapse even more than it already has, and maybe she should be prepared. And she is. She is great. A/A-.

__
Content warning for mentions of rape and other violence (though there are no graphic details).

No comments: