Wednesday, March 08, 2017

2017 book 43

C.S. Harris' Where the Dead Lie
The 12th Sebastian St Cyr mystery is exceedingly unpleasant, as it involves St Cyr trying to track down a serial killer who rapes and tortures children. So like, yeah. And this is sliiightly balanced by how much I love his marriage (though a new character introduced in that arena is SO CLEARLY a spy and a murderer and it is making me so angry that that isn't addressed in this book), but that is not enough. And maybe if the mystery itself was better, this would be less awful to read, but it's just St Cyr bouncing around trying to figure out which disgusting man is also a disgusting serial killer--there aren't really any clues and the resolution isn't that satisfying. I mean, I will keep reading this series, but I did not enjoy this one. B-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on April 4th.

No comments: