Sunday, April 23, 2017

2017 book 73

J. Courtney Sullivan's Saints for All Occasions
Sullivan's latest is fine, though not my favorite of her books--it doesn't have that special spark to distinguish it from every other book about a complicated family with secrets. Also, it ended just when it was getting interesting! I did like the look at the mid-century Irish immigrant community in Boston, but the generation after felt a lot more generic (I guess I appreciated the nods to diversity, but I wished to see more from those characters). I also thought the descriptions of the cloistered convent where one character lives were pretty interesting. But like I said. It ended just where I was finally getting into it! The plot and characters just felt underdeveloped. I think this will be popular with book clubs though. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on May 9th.


1 comment:

Christina said...

The only thing I liked about this book was the illustration of how it doesn't really matter what the secrets are in families. They are still families and no one else knows you as well as your family does even if you think they don't. But otherwise, I found this one to be a bit of a slog.